Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Getting to Know Me

Between January and April of 2011, layoff and life took my income from around $70,000 a year to nothing. I had a wonderful job that I had created for myself-I approached a Texas engineering firm about expanding into Florida with me at the helm and they gave me a job! But with the abrupt and complete loss of income, suddenly I was terrified.

It’s important to note that, up till now, I was what I refer to as a “90/10 Christian”. I had given most of me to God; regularly attended church, tithed and was involved a little. God had 90% of me, but there was about 10% that I wanted to keep for myself. It hadn’t interfered in my life (apparently the enemy loves the 90/10 plan) but God had a different take on the matter.

It was Easter Sunday, 2011. The sermon was about Christians who love the Lord but are dead in the spirit. My spirit literally exploded! “Lord, that’s me, and I don’t want to be that anymore! Whatever it takes, please please please please please please please show me how to get back to you!” I was so scared and broken that suddenly nothing the World had to offer compared to my desire to feel close to God. On this day, I gave all of me to God.

This transformation did not manifest itself overnight-not by a long shot. Rather, I began a season of chastisement. Not that God was punishing me; no, not at all. I had to overcome the consequences of all those years of not-so-Godly choices, and then learn how to become intimately immersed in Jesus.

During that time I went on my first mission trip and met a very Godly single mother of five. Devoted, dedicated, and unchurched. I thought this was so sad. She couldn't find a church to meet her needs. That ignited a spark because I realized that I, and so many other singles, had found the same thing.

The church is very busy keeping families together and helping said families raise their kids in the way they should go. As a result, the church largely has not made a place for single people. Many churches have activities and socials, but that’s not enough. In 1Corinthians 7 St. Paul speaks at length concerning being single and married, and the advantages of being single. Verses 32-35 address how marriage distracts from complete devotion to Christ. Be it a serious dating relationship or marriage, we have many worries and tasks that we can commit to God, but do not enhance our communion with Him.

 7:32 I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. 33 But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife, 34 and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband. 35 I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.”

I’ve been in the church for over 30 years, have belonged to several churches in different denominations and have never once heard from the pulpit the message that being single in Christ is a vocation.

It’s taken two years of dialogue between me and God for this ministry to take form and grow feet. I asked God over and over to take this fire away if it is not of Him. The more I asked for the desire to go away, the stronger it burned and the more doors opened. In Christ Alone is the fledgling ministry that, with God’s help and blessing according to His will, is going to teach singles across this land how to live the vocation of being single. We will go forth, expanding the church’s reach and goodness throughout our communities.

If it is on your heart to pray for me, this is what I ask is this: pray that every day, my only desire be to put my feet where God would have me step; that I be bold and confident but not proud. Humble but not insecure and, above all else, that I hear His voice and not my own. Above all, that God guide, direct and lead this ministry.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment